'WHY GOVERN WHEN YOU CAN POSTURE ?' A HARRIS

Friday, March 25, 2011

HARRIS: I JUST VOTED TO RAISE YOUR TAXES . . . SORRY . . .

(Dissociated Press) Rep. Andy ('I-will-never-vote-to-raise-taxes') Harris ran out of the capitol building to catch up with a gaggle of reporter so he could "clarify" his vote on HR 3, No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act.


"You will remember that during the campaign I said, repeatedly, I would never vote to raise taxes. Never. Never. Never."


"Well, turns out I have already voted to raise taxes on businesses in my district."


"Didn't take me even a month to violate my no-tax campaign pledge. That must be a record."  


"Turns out," Harris further clarified,  "HR 3, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act has new taxation buried right in there."


"The bill takes away tax credits and deductions if an insurance plan covers abortions." 




"Who knew?"


"Chris Smith took me aside and said that bill 'merely codifies' existing laws. Chris was wrong. "


"Maybe it wasn't Chris Smith . . . There are so many crazy guys running around in there, who can keep track? Not me."


"But the bill clearly says that if a company wants to keep its current medical insurance for its employees and if that insurance covers abortions, then that company's taxes will go UP!"


"I am a never-vote-for-more-taxes guy." 


"Yet here I am, not a month on the job, voting for a tax increase."


"Gotta fix this," Harris said, as he wandered back into the Capitol.


"I know . . . since I probably set a record for going back on a big campaign pledge, maybe if I run again in the First District, I can pitch myself as a record-setting-newbie . . . "


"People might buy that . . . they just might . . . " NOT










. . . they just might not . . .




SOURCES:


"In Washington, I will never vote to raise taxes." http://www.andyharris.com/news/pr103010-2.html


HR 3 raises taxes on companies that choose to keep their current employee health insurance plans. 
http://www.nwlc.org/resource/oppose-dangerous-and-misleading-%E2%80%9Cno-taxpayer-funding-abortion-act%E2%80%9D#download






END



2 comments:

  1. Typical left wing smear! Everyone knows that the only thing that matters is the title of the law. Next you'll complain that Rep. Harris doesn't tell the truth. Another example of your fact-based NPR mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie,

    You are right on the money!

    When the bill "No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion" was passed in the House, the only thing that mattered to its backers was the title.

    What did not matter to the no-more-taxes crowd was language in the bill that actually raises taxes on businesses.

    Right again, Charlie, to accuse this pseudo A H blog of being "fact based." Your point is well taken.

    ReplyDelete